Latest Update to Services at The Scott Mission – January 14, 2021
The Scott Mission has cared for vulnerable people in Toronto for over 79 years. The COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we have provided services and supports for our clients, but during these uncertain times, we know that our clients rely on us to provide the food, groceries, clothing and shelter that they need.
Our goal has been and continues to be to provide an elevated level of health and safety for our community including clients, volunteers, donors, and staff, while at the same time providing needed services to some of the most vulnerable citizens in Toronto. Over the past few weeks we have expanded our services as the public health protocols allow:
502 Spadina Avenue
- Welcome Centres. There is a Welcome Centre at the front doors to greet clients entering the building, provide wellness checks (including temperature checking) and a hand washing station. Another Welcome Centre at the north entrance into the Food Bank where clients will have their temperature taken before entering.
- Meals: Fresh hot meals are being distributed to our clients at the laneway window on the south end of the building. We have started to have a small number of clients indoors in our dining room for meals with the proper distancing and Health protocols being taken.
- Shelter: After some modifications to comply with public health requirements, our Men’s Shelter is still open with all the proper precautions to provide the safest environment possible.
- Our Food Bank is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed Wednesday afternoons for groceries.
- Washroom/Shower/Laundry: Our staff team will be managing these services through the front doors of the building.
- Clothing Distribution: Clothing will be available for emergency cases only.
- Sunday Services and Group Meetings: All group gatherings are postponed during this period.
Personal Donations of Food and Clothing: We need your help (but we need to take a pause first due to COVID-19!)
During the Province’s emergency stay-at-home orders, we are not able to collect food, clothing and other gift-in-kind donations. Our distribution of items will continue, so we would appreciate it if you could hold on to items you would like to share for just a little longer. We’ll update this page when we’re able to accept in person donations.
Businesses: if you have items to share in bulk, please contact Arturo at firstname.lastname@example.org
1550 O’Connor Drive
- Our Food Bank is open on Tuesdays from 9:00 am until 12:00 p.m.
- Childcare Centre: Our Childcare Centre is open and we have spots available for your child. Please call 416-923-4680 for more information.
- After School Programs: At this time our after-school programs are either being held online or live with limited participants and full health protection protocols in place. For more information please go to: www.scottmissioncamp.com/city-program/home
Collingwood Retreat Centre & Caledon Camp.
- Group Bookings: We have postponed all group bookings until further notice.
Many of our supporters and donors have asked what they can do to support The Scott Mission’s clients during this time. During the Province’s emergency stay-at-home orders, we are not able to collect food, clothing and other gift-in-kind donations. Our distribution of items will continue, so we would appreciate it if you could hold on to items you would like to share for just a little longer. We’ll update this page when we’re able to accept in person donations. If you would like to provide a financial gift so that we can purchase needed supplies, please donate online at www.scottmission.com, by phone at 416-923-2400, or by mail at The Scott Mission, 502 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2H1. We are grateful for your care. Please also keep us and our clients in your prayers.
To protect our essential front-line staff and clients we continue to restrict the number of people in our buildings. Because of this, we are still not able to have volunteers join us at the Mission. Non-essential staff are working remotely. It may take longer for staff to respond to enquiries, we apologize in advance. Our goal is to ensure the safest possible environment for our clients, volunteers, and staff.
We again want to thank the Lord for carrying us through each day. Let us remember to keep our eyes on Him and pray for each other and those in need. We pray that God would continue to pour out His love and mercy on us, our city, and our brothers and sisters throughout the world.
In His Service,