Children, Youth and Camp
The purpose of the Children, Youth & Camp (CYC) Department is to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus to low-income children and youth through fun-filled, relaxing, yet challenging programs at the camp property in Caledon and our program locations in Toronto.
- All children and youth deserve a summer break and a chance to experience camp life. That is why the Mission offers up to 600 children and youth between the ages of 7 and 17 the opportunity to spend a week at our beautiful 100-acre campground in Caledon, Ontario (click here for a map). The Camp is about a 45-minute drive north of Toronto. Subsidies are available for campers with limited financial means.
- Campers learn important social and life skills by developing friendships with other campers and counsellors in a positive, caring environment where the love of Christ is demonstrated through words and actions.
- Campers may attend camp for one session (a week in length).
- Facilities include a high ropes course, climbing wall, bike trails, sports fields, swimming pool, basketball court and a playground.
- If you are between 18 to 25 years of age and would like a great summer job in a Christian setting, consider becoming a Camp Counselor. For more information, please click here.
Lawrence Heights summer program
- During the summer months, The Scott Mission runs a program for about 60 children and youth in the Lawrence Heights community. CYC staff lead children in Bible lessons, sports and fun activities. The rest of the week, children and youth volunteer in their community and go on small group trips and prayer walks.
- This program started in 2007 in an effort to build on the relationships that were formed in our after-school clubs.
- Lawrence Heights is a low-income housing project that is home to a diverse mix of ethnicities and new immigrants. For more than 25 years, The Scott Mission has established a presence in this community through carefully-planned programs for children and youth.
- The Mission operates an after-school program from September to June for children from Grades 2 to 12, principally in the Lawrence Heights area of downtown Toronto. Many of the participating students attend the Caledon Camp in the summer, and summer campers can receive follow-up support at the after-school program. Participants can partake in an assortment of community-building activities, such as neighbourhood clean-up days and our annual end-of-the-year barbecue. Through this experience, the children are able to build relationships with each other, the staff, their community and most importantly, Jesus Christ. Participating children are also invited to retreats at our Caledon Camp where they can get away from the city and have fun in the outdoors.